Newprint is a Canadian company and a family-owned business with a long, multi-generational printing history. We began as an offset printing company in 1990 serving businesses and organizations in the National Capital Region. While we continue to provide printing services in Ottawa, we have since expanded to serve clients throughout Canada and beyond. We are proud to be a printing services provider to a wide range of clients across North America. As a qualified supplier to various government departments, we have implemented meticulous quality control measures. We use these same measures for all of our clients, from non-profit to public and private companies. One of our goals is to create innovative products and unique solutions for our customers. We use tools from Esko’s and EFI’s catalogue of programs to help streamline and expedite this process, as well as equipment from Heidelberg and Xerox to deliver a finished product.
Directs the crew and perform manual and machine operator tasks related to the set-up, maintenance and operations of the press, Responsible for the quantitative and qualitative press performance.
Daily Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Makes ready and operates offset printing press
- Examines job order to determine quantity to be Printed, stock specifications, colors and special printing instructions
- Examines offset printing plate for visual defects and applies correcting solution to repair minor defects or informs supervisor of unrepairable plates
- Applies packing sheet to blanket cylinder to build up blanket thickness to diameter of plate cylinder
- Measures paper thickness and adjusts space between blanket and impression cylinders according to thickness of paper stock
- Adjusts controls to regulate flow of ink and dampening solution to plate cylinder
- Starts press, examines printed copy for ink density, position on paper and registration and makes adjustments to press throughout production run to maintain specific registration and color density
- Makes adjustments to feeder and delivery mechanism
- Removes and replaces worn rollers and adjusts pressure between rollers of press, using hand tools
- Leads, gives directions to, trains, and monitors work of press crew
- Performs job duties in accordance with company safety rules
- Performs proper and required maintenance as well as cleaning of press.
- Performs other duties as assigned
* Training is not provided *
Duties and responsibilities noted with an asterisk (*) are considered to be the essential functions of the job position.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- 5-7 years Second Pressman experience;
- In depth knowledge of the mechanics and capabilities of press;
- Able to accurately distinguish color variation;
- Mechanical aptitude;
- Requires experience running, troubleshooting and quality control.
- Ability to understand written instructions and set-up the press and carry out instructions;
- Frequent lifting, bending and turning.